Skip to main content

SSSC 23 Things Digital – Thing 16: Learning digitally

In the self- assessment form, I rated myself 5 for all areas which were: self-confidence, motivation, positive attitude, good communication skills, good collaborator and competent user of IT. I feel I am able to rate myself a 5 across all areas because of my work ethic and my role as a depute manager means I have to display these characteristics in practice in order to support my staff. I am confident in accessing training to further develop my skills as I know this will benefit myself, my staff and my service users. 

I have a lot of experience of accessing digital learning because of my SSSC registration requirements and access to a variety of online learning modules. This has become even more apparent since the COVID-19 closures and using my time working at home to further develop my skills and knowledge by accessing digital learning resources. 

I feel the characteristics of a successful digital learner can definitely be used in more traditional approaches to learning. I need to be motivated to learn with a positive attitude towards any training I access as I know it will benefit me, my staff and my service users. Through my university course, I have had to apply these characteristics to both digital learning resources and more traditional approaches such as reading books or accessing course materials. For both digital learning and more traditional learning, I need to have time and space, for example, I have a quiet space at home dedicated to completing my university work and to work from home however if I am attending a training course, I expect the provider to have a set up which allows for attendees to learn. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SSSC 23 Things Digital - Open Badges

I was surprised to learn that Open Badges are recognised internationally and that over 3000 organisations across the world recognise them. I like that the badges are earned based on your understanding and knowledge you have gained and that people who view your badge can see the evidence you have provided to demonstrate your understanding; it#s not just a certificate to show you completed the badge. I was surprised to learn someone can endorse your badge and that it doesn't have to be your manager. I like that it can be someone who uses your service as you can then use this for self-evaluation purposes. I would tell my colleagues to complete the Open Badges because it's an excellent way to demonstrate your knowledge and an easy way to learn and go at your own pace.

SSSC 23 Things Digital Thing 5 - Social Media #1

Social media is a huge part of every day life and I would say the majority of people I work with and our service users have access to some form of social media account. As a result, the local authority I work for has a social media policy which we must review annually and on induction of new staff. This is quite a clear and easy to follow policy however because our local authority doesn't just cover the work we do in our service, I also need to remind staff of their duty to uphold the SSSC Codes of Practice. To overcome this, I am working on a policy which incorporates our local authorities social media policy and the SSSC Codes of Practice which are relevant to social media into one document.  In relation to the SSSC Codes of Practice, I feel Code 5.8 is very relevant to our organisation because it tells us that we must behave appropriately and not jeopardise the position of trust we have built with our service users. For some staff, they feel this means they can't use social ...

SSSC 23 Things Digital Thing 4 - Digital Footprint

Firstly I watched the video Orange Digital Dirt and I found it very interesting and something I have a great deal of knowledge on due to working in a management position and being involved in recruitment and selection of new staff. I feel it's really important for employees to be aware of what they post online because if a service users were to access this, it could damage the reputation and trust they have built up when working with the service user.  I did a search for myself in my home town and through my work place and nothing out of the ordinary came up. Again, because I have a great understanding of what can be found online, I am very conscious about what I post and where I post. I make sure all my accounts are private and I don't accept friend requests from people I don't know or may know through association.  The 8 Tips to Effectively Manage Your Digital Footprint is a really useful tool to use to check up on social media and digital accounts such as email, online b...