Skip to main content

SSSC 23 Things Digital – Thing 14: Email

In practice I use Outlook to send and receive emails. This is set up as a corporate email account to ensure there are firewalls in place to stop any malicious content being sent to my email account and causing issues to the authority's IT equipment and servers. 

My email account is set up with an inbox folder and a deleted items folder. I had previously set up folders for specific emails i.e. from my head teacher however the authority was doing a big clean up of their storage systems therefore I saved them to my desktop. As I have a corporate log in only I can access the content on my desktop so it is quite secure. 

On my personal email account, I set up folders for specific emails such as insurance renewals, holiday documents etc. This is a useful way for me to keep track of things I need to do. 

During the COVID-19 closure, I have been using my outlook account via GLOW to communicate with staff and parents as we don't all have access to our corporate email accounts - I have had use of Mailzen which has allowed me to access my corporate emails from my phone. Via my GLOW email account, I used the BCC option to send an email to all parents regarding transitions, allocation of sessions and updates on our GLOW blog. This made it easier for me to reach all the parents with just one email whilst protecting their data. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 23 Things Leadership Journey - Introduction

During the COVID-19 closure, I have spent a lot of time reading, completing training courses and working my through the SSSC Open Badges. When I found the 23 Things Leadership, I was interested to take part to broaden my knowledge and attempt to complete the 23 Things before I returned to work. I knew it would help develop my skills of reflection and gaining feedback from others.  Blogging is not an unfamiliar concept to me. I wrote a parenting blog for a number of years and enjoyed the interaction I got from readers and meeting people who were in a similar position to me; trying to juggle work, a home, babies and everything in-between. I gave it up when I started working full time as it was so time consuming. However the things I enjoyed about blogging haven't gone away and, in every day working life, sharing practice with other professionals is hugely important in improving outcomes for our service users. Working in a leadership role, I'm continually trying to develop my know

SSSC 23 Things Digital – Thing 16: Learning digitally

In the self- assessment form, I rated myself 5 for all areas which were: self-confidence, motivation, positive attitude, good communication skills, good collaborator and competent user of IT. I feel I am able to rate myself a 5 across all areas because of my work ethic and my role as a depute manager means I have to display these characteristics in practice in order to support my staff. I am confident in accessing training to further develop my skills as I know this will benefit myself, my staff and my service users.  I have a lot of experience of accessing digital learning because of my SSSC registration requirements and access to a variety of online learning modules. This has become even more apparent since the COVID-19 closures and using my time working at home to further develop my skills and knowledge by accessing digital learning resources.  I feel the characteristics of a successful digital learner can definitely be used in more traditional approaches to learning. I need to be m