Skip to main content

SSSC 23 Things Digital – Thing 8: Facebook

In relation to my personal social media, including Facebook, I have ensured all my settings are checked and set to private/friends only. I'm conscious about what information I share, upload and view on social media as this could have an impact on my professional status and my registration with the SSSC. I follow the social media guidance from my employer and I ensure my staff receive annual compliance updates on the rules of social media through our policy. 

For the example profile for Sarah Smith, I immediately noticed her full date of birth was visible to the public as well as details of her profession, marital status, personal interests and location. Someone could easily find out exactly where she worked from this information. As I scrolled further down, I noticed two posts relating to her work which were very unprofessional and could be used against Sarah if a person or family she cared for saw them. This could lead to disciplinary action being taken against Sarah and would be a breach of the Codes of Practice, in particular, section 5 which states "As a Social Service Worker, I must uphold public trust and confidence in social services". It may be the case that Sarah hasn't had a detailed induction from her employer in regards to acceptable use of social media and the need to respect confidentiality and uphold trust of service users. 

My establishment does not have a Facebook account however I have worked with establishments who do have a Facebook account or rather a Facebook group or page. To make sure these comply with social media guidance of our authority, the establishment has to put in a request to IT to set up an account so IT can make sure the relevant security measures are in place on the page/group. They have to have all the names of staff who will use the account. The benefits of using a Facebook Group for an establishment is the admin have to accept any requests to join which means you control who access the content. However a group allows the members to see one another which could cause confidentiality issues amongst service users and the personal accounts of the staff working for the establishment. The benefits of a Facebook Page for an establishment means, unless service users are friends on Facebook, they can't see who likes the page, including staff members who might like the page. Posts to the page are made from the establishment account and comments can be moderated. However anyone can like the Facebook page whether they have any affiliation to the establishment meaning anyone can view the content. 

I think social media is a great way to share ideas and content with your service users however I make sure all staff are aware of the risks of having their own social media and how things they post can be used against them if they fall into the wrong hands. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SSSC 23 Things Digital - Open Badges

I was surprised to learn that Open Badges are recognised internationally and that over 3000 organisations across the world recognise them. I like that the badges are earned based on your understanding and knowledge you have gained and that people who view your badge can see the evidence you have provided to demonstrate your understanding; it#s not just a certificate to show you completed the badge. I was surprised to learn someone can endorse your badge and that it doesn't have to be your manager. I like that it can be someone who uses your service as you can then use this for self-evaluation purposes. I would tell my colleagues to complete the Open Badges because it's an excellent way to demonstrate your knowledge and an easy way to learn and go at your own pace.

SSSC 23 Things Digital Thing 5 - Social Media #1

Social media is a huge part of every day life and I would say the majority of people I work with and our service users have access to some form of social media account. As a result, the local authority I work for has a social media policy which we must review annually and on induction of new staff. This is quite a clear and easy to follow policy however because our local authority doesn't just cover the work we do in our service, I also need to remind staff of their duty to uphold the SSSC Codes of Practice. To overcome this, I am working on a policy which incorporates our local authorities social media policy and the SSSC Codes of Practice which are relevant to social media into one document.  In relation to the SSSC Codes of Practice, I feel Code 5.8 is very relevant to our organisation because it tells us that we must behave appropriately and not jeopardise the position of trust we have built with our service users. For some staff, they feel this means they can't use social ...

SSSC 23 Things Digital Thing 4 - Digital Footprint

Firstly I watched the video Orange Digital Dirt and I found it very interesting and something I have a great deal of knowledge on due to working in a management position and being involved in recruitment and selection of new staff. I feel it's really important for employees to be aware of what they post online because if a service users were to access this, it could damage the reputation and trust they have built up when working with the service user.  I did a search for myself in my home town and through my work place and nothing out of the ordinary came up. Again, because I have a great understanding of what can be found online, I am very conscious about what I post and where I post. I make sure all my accounts are private and I don't accept friend requests from people I don't know or may know through association.  The 8 Tips to Effectively Manage Your Digital Footprint is a really useful tool to use to check up on social media and digital accounts such as email, online b...