Skip to main content

SSSC 23 Things Digital - Why Digital?

I found the info-graphic on digital capabilities really interesting and very relevant to my experience of digital learning. I am confident in using a wide range of technology to support my learning and to share information with my service users and staff. I use technology every day in my work place; from sending and receiving emails, publishing information to service users via our app and updating our blog. 

I have found the use of digital technologies particularly useful during the COVID-19 closures as it has allowed me to keep in contact with staff and service users both quickly and effectively. As soon as there have been any updates to services, I have been able to communicate these via social media channels and by email. Likewise, I have been able to receive updates from my manager and our regulatory services. I have found using GLOW and the forms tool really useful in gathering feedback to inform practice through self-evaluation too. However, I do feel we have to be mindful that we don't rely on digital learning and technology for everything we do in practice as this may be discriminating against service users who don't have access to technology. To overcome this, I do continue to issue paper copies where required. 

In terms of staff, I do feel some staff find it challenging to use technology within our service because they've worked on a "paper basis" for many years. Paperwork has always been completed by hand, recording information or learning from service users has been documented in floor books or scrapbooks and training has been delivered in-house on a face to face basis, with paper copies of presentations distributed for staff to keep. However I feel they are open to learning and trying new approaches which make their workload more manageable. I do feel it would be beneficial for everyone to have a basic qualification in using things like Word, Excel etc. or even being able to send an email. Fortunately my local authority provides staff with online training to become more confident in using technology and therefore increasing their digital capabilities. 

I looked at the Why Digital? self- assessment form and I felt I was able to score myself very high across the three areas; capability, confident and relevance. I have worked with technology since a young age and had access to a very good education programme which supported IT and Computing skills. I definitely find younger staff have a better grasp of using digital learning and technology in my service which is likely down to it being introduced in education from a young age. In terms of relevance, working as a manager, I am constantly using digital platforms to communicate with service users, record information and data, complete forms, paperwork and for my own continued professional learning. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SSSC 23 Things Digital – Thing 14: Email

In practice I use Outlook to send and receive emails. This is set up as a corporate email account to ensure there are firewalls in place to stop any malicious content being sent to my email account and causing issues to the authority's IT equipment and servers.  My email account is set up with an inbox folder and a deleted items folder. I had previously set up folders for specific emails i.e. from my head teacher however the authority was doing a big clean up of their storage systems therefore I saved them to my desktop. As I have a corporate log in only I can access the content on my desktop so it is quite secure.  On my personal email account, I set up folders for specific emails such as insurance renewals, holiday documents etc. This is a useful way for me to keep track of things I need to do.  During the COVID-19 closure, I have been using my outlook account via GLOW to communicate with staff and parents as we don't all have access to our corporate email accounts - I have h

My 23 Things Leadership Journey - Introduction

During the COVID-19 closure, I have spent a lot of time reading, completing training courses and working my through the SSSC Open Badges. When I found the 23 Things Leadership, I was interested to take part to broaden my knowledge and attempt to complete the 23 Things before I returned to work. I knew it would help develop my skills of reflection and gaining feedback from others.  Blogging is not an unfamiliar concept to me. I wrote a parenting blog for a number of years and enjoyed the interaction I got from readers and meeting people who were in a similar position to me; trying to juggle work, a home, babies and everything in-between. I gave it up when I started working full time as it was so time consuming. However the things I enjoyed about blogging haven't gone away and, in every day working life, sharing practice with other professionals is hugely important in improving outcomes for our service users. Working in a leadership role, I'm continually trying to develop my know

SSSC 23 Things Digital – Thing 16: Learning digitally

In the self- assessment form, I rated myself 5 for all areas which were: self-confidence, motivation, positive attitude, good communication skills, good collaborator and competent user of IT. I feel I am able to rate myself a 5 across all areas because of my work ethic and my role as a depute manager means I have to display these characteristics in practice in order to support my staff. I am confident in accessing training to further develop my skills as I know this will benefit myself, my staff and my service users.  I have a lot of experience of accessing digital learning because of my SSSC registration requirements and access to a variety of online learning modules. This has become even more apparent since the COVID-19 closures and using my time working at home to further develop my skills and knowledge by accessing digital learning resources.  I feel the characteristics of a successful digital learner can definitely be used in more traditional approaches to learning. I need to be m